Here are some quick answers to some of the more frequently asked questions. If you still have questions after feel free to contact us any time.
- What goes on during service?
- Greeters welcome folks at the back and front doors. Worship service begins at 10am with announcements followed by an organ prelude. A bulletin will be given you when you enter that will guide you through the service. It indicates when you are requested to stand if you are able to do so. The service generally begins with a “call to worship” followed by hymn during which the choir processes in, from the Narthex to the Chancel. The service also includes a sermon, scripture readings, children’s message, hymns, an anthem performed by the choir, a listing of joys and concerns and prayers. An offering is also taken to help the church. Service ends with a benediction. The organist will play a postlude after which you are invited to leave the sanctuary and join the congregation in Wesley Lounge for fellowship with light refreshments including coffee, tea, or punch.
- What happens after service?
- A time for community gathering follows the service in Wesley Lounge with light refreshments served.
- When is communion?
- At FUMC, there is a communion service in the Chancel immediately following the worship service. Anyone wishing to participate is invited to remain for communion. Five times a year, a church-wide communion service is held during the worship service. Communion is celebrated either in the pews with ushers distributing bread and cups or by intinction at the front of the church. The United Methodist Church practices open Communion. Everyone (including children) who wishes to take Communion in the spirit with which it is offered is welcome to participate. Our Communion is non-alcoholic.
- Do you have any hearing devices?
- Yes, ask one of the ushers to get you one. We also have large print bulletins available.
- Where is FUMC Schenectady located?
- FUMC is located on State Street in downtown Schenectady at the intersection of State and Lafayette Streets. It is across from Veteran’s Park and next door to MVP.
- Where can I park?
- Parking is located in the rear of the church and must be entered from Nott Terrace via Chapel Street. Parking is also available in the Lupi parking garage which is across the street from our parking lot. We are handicap accessible.
DIRECTIONS TO FUMC
We are located in downtown Schenectady at 603 State Street. Our parking lot is off Chapel Street and can be located by GPS using 601 Chapel Street, Schenectady, 12305.
From I-90 (NYS Thruway), From points east take exit 25 and follow, I-890 West to Exit 5 (Broadway Exit)
From points west: take Exit 26 and follow I-890 East to Exit 5 (Broadway Exit). Turn left at the bottom of the ramp onto Broadway.
*Follow Broadway Bear right up the hill on Millard Street, which turns into Veeder Street, across State Street to Nott Terrace. Take the first left onto Chapel Street. Church parking is 300 feet on the left. Free parking is also available at the MVP Garage.
From points north take contact us anytime! We look forward to hearing from you.